Tuesday, July 23, 2013

IHSW and WIPocalypse updates for July

I'm lumping IHSW and WIPocalypse together this month -- mainly because I'm not really getting much done with my WIPocalypse projects.  Actually, make that no stitching at all on them.  I've been having some problems with my one eye which makes it difficult to stitch my larger WIP's.  Actually the stitching isn't the challenge, it's the reading of the charts that's a problem.  The more complicated charts are harder for me to read.  Because of this, I've been working on simpler patterns and getting lots of small ornies stitched.  Over the weekend, I did some finishing work on said ornies and completed 2 of them (the halloween ones for my nephews):

I also started a new project over the weekend.  I'm participating in a Summer Holiday exchange hosted by Mii Stitch.  After a couple false starts (where I tried different fabric colors), I have a little teaser pic to show you:

This pattern is more complicated than I've been doing recently but I like it and think my exchange partner will enjoy it also. It's not very big but there are lots of color changes and even some blended threads.  Unfortunately, because of my eye, I keep making mistakes and having to tear out parts (cursed frogs) but I'm determined to finish it.  I like it so much, I may stitch one for myself.  I changed the background color of the suggested material but the threads are all as suggested.  The fabric I'm using is 32ct raw linen (I think that's what it's called) and the threads all DMC.  And that's all I'm going to say about this one until the exchange is finished.

Enjoy your day!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Happy dancing time

A couple weeks ago, I won a traveling pattern from Debbie.  This is a first for me -- I was so excited to win it!  Thank you, Debbie.  I had intended to post a few progress pictures as I stitched it but ... you know how that goes .... the best laid plans and all that.  Anyway, it's finished!!

I stitched it on 20 ct aida (ivory or off white or whatever they call it) using whatever DMC threads I had on hand that sort of matched the picture.  Instead of a button in the 'flower' near the top, I stitched a Jessica and put an orange bead in the center of it.  Some of you may notice that the bats look a little different.  Wellll, I miscounted the placement of the lower jack o'lantern which resulted in 'spooky' and a bat being in the wrong place which screwed up the placement of the other bats, etc., etc.  So, instead of ripping it all out, I adjusted the pattern to make it fit.

And so now I have another first.  This pattern is ready to get back on the road and meet the next intrepid stitcher.  If you are interested in stitching this traveling pattern there are only 3 requirements:

1)  Leave a comment here saying so
2)  Be willing to pass it on when you are finished
3)  Have a blog

Since this is new to me, I'm not sure how much time to give people.   I hope this isn't too short or long, but on August 1st, I'll draw a name from the interested comments.  Good luck!

Now before I close, here's another little finish.  It's a freebie from Rainbow Gallery.

Here's to cooler temps!  I hope wherever you are it isn't as hot and humid as it is here.  I feel like I'm melting!